Friday, November 15, 2013

A Commentary on My Classmates' Blog



           There is no doubt in my mind that the above mentioned case is one of  its kind, and  an odd one, considering how long this man, Jack Harry Smith has been on the death row. It is no secret that Texas is known as the execution capital of the nation; the last count was 500th execution since the Supreme Court lifted a ban on execution. Reading my colleagues’ write-up, one would come to think that Texas is becoming soft on crime but that is not the case. In fact I agree with my colleague and the original author of the article that State of Texas has failed her citizen so far by having this man still breathing 35 years after he was sentenced to die for the crime that he was convicted of.
          
          I disagree with my peer that rushing to execute this man at this point in time is a noble thing to do. It seems to me that it would by killing him at this time, Texas would be making his wish come through; an honorary exit out of current misery. I will suggest that allowing him to die a slow and a miserable death due to his failing ill health will be a better option at this point in time. The purpose for which death sentence is imposed in the first place is to serve as a deterrent but in the case of Jack Harry Smith, execution at this point in time would only serve his purpose of notoriety in the national media; he has already broken a record as the longest serving death row inmate so why such a rush?
          Let Jack Harry Smith live and suffer a slow and lonely time in the death row till he dies a lonely death, and not noticed by anyone but himself. If we can wait for 35 years, why not wait a little longer.
I am also critical of both my colleague and the original writer of the article for their failure to give me (reader) more useful information as to why this man remained in the death row for these many years. There has to be some underlying issues either legal or otherwise that caused such a long delay because a number one state in numbers of executions cannot be considered lenient on such issue.
        
          I would have appreciated my colleague, and the original writer if they had devoted their effort in explaining why the delay is taking place, and maybe ways to reconcile the situation

No comments:

Post a Comment